This page contains resources for any one questioning if they are in a relationship that qualifies as domestic violence, is in crisis or who needs assistance. Shelter resources are available to you even if you are not a resident. If you need help discerning the possibility of abuse please check our Definition of Abuse Page
National resources are listed first, followed by Chicago area resources, then other services (including resources specifically for immigrants, workplace violence, etc.), and links to smartphone apps.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-SAFE (7233)
- National Network to End Domestic Violence: Significant resources and legal updates.
- Domestic shelters: Can help an individual find the closest shelter to their actual location. This site has many great educational links and services.
- The local YWCA usually has an abundance of resources, support and advocacy for individuals in need of assistance around domestic violence. Find the nearest one to you.
- The Anti-Violence Project has contact information for most major cities.
RESOURCES SPECIFICALLY FOR TEENS + CHILDREN:
- National Teen Dating Abuse Hotline: 866-331-9474 (TTY: 1-866-331-8453)
- Visit the National Teen Dating Abuse website to chat with a peer advocate 24/7.
- RAINN (Rape, Assault, & Incest National Network) Hotline: 800-656-HOPE (4673).
- Nonconsensual Pornography Hotline: 844-878-2274.
- Victim Connect Hotline: 855-484-2846.
SOME AVAILABLE SHELTER SERVICES:
- Emergency shelter
- Individual counseling sessions
- Legal assistance
- Medical assistance
- Children’s counseling/services
- Information about Victims Economic Security and Safety Act (VESSA) to protect your job and protect you in the workplace
- Information about the Safe Homes Act that allows renters who are victims to terminate their lease early or get their locks changed
- Information about adding protections for family pets to an Order of Protection
- Information about safety planning and strategies to increase safety such as providing a copy of an Order of Protection to an employer or to a child’s school; or varying routines including the time victims leave for work or the routes traveled
- Relocation support
- Prescriptions and medical services
The following is a list of apps that are specifically designed for individuals experiencing domestic or intimate partner violence:
- myPlan bilingual (Spanish) – requires PIN (personal identification number) to get in. Without a PIN, you’ll be directed to a dummy page. It’s an educational app and also holds a digitized safety plan.
- Aspire – education, distress signal, send emergency notification.
- Pevo – requires a PIN
- Sunny – educational, text support, help, share your story and read others’ stories
- DVI – education and immediate help
- Secretly Safe – requires a phrase to operate. Say the phrase if you feel threatened; operators will receive an alert, notify police and contact you. If you still feel threatened or do not respond, operators will send emergency services to your exact location.
HOTLINES FOR OTHER FORMS OF ABUSE:
Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS)
This state-operated website contains links to family and community services, and includes sections on Domestic Violence – Victim Services, Partner Abuse Intervention Program, and Sexual Assault Prevention. To report abuse/neglect of persons with a mental illness or a developmental disability at a DHS-operated facility, call the OIG (Office of the Inspector General) 24-hour Hotline 800-368-1463 voice/TTY. All other calls will be referred to the DHS Customer Help Line: 800-843-6154 English or Español 800-447-6404 TTY
Si usted sospecha que un individuo discapacitado ha sido abusado, descuidado o estafado económicamente, repórtelo a la Oficina del Inspector General del DHS al: 1-800-368-1463 voz/TTY. Todas las otras llamadas serán transferidas a la Línea de Ayuda para Clientes del DHS: 800-843-6154 inglés o español 800-447-6404 TTY
For other allegations of abuse/neglect of individuals, please use the contact information below.
Category Contact Information
DHS Local Office Staff
Office of the Executive Inspector General Online Complaint
Domestic Violence Help-Line
Call toll free, Confidential, 24 Hour, Multilingual
(not in a nursing home)
24-Hour Hotline: 866-800-1409 (voice), 1-888-206-1327 (TTY)
(Department on Aging, Senior Help Line)
Abuse/Neglect of a person with a mental illness/developmental disability in a domestic setting:
Adult Protective Services at 1-866-800-1409
Department of Financial and Professional Regulation Online Complaint
Hospitals or Nursing Homes
Illinois Department of Public Health: Nursing Homes in Illinois
Human Rights Violation
Guardianship and Advocacy Commission
(708) 338-7500 (Outside of Illinois)
Minors (children under 18)
Department of Children and Family Services
If you are outside of Illinois, call (217) 524-2606
National Human Trafficking Resource Center (NHTRC)
24 Hour Hotline: 1-888-373-7888 If you or someone you know is a victim of human trafficking call now.